Blogs > News-Herald Food and Travel

Food and travel captivate Janet Podolak, who chronicles both for The News-Herald. Get the back story of her three decades of stories here. Guest bloggers and fellow News-Herald staffers also periodically share details of their trips.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Touring Chicago by boat

Meet my colleague Cheryl Sadler, the community engagement editor, who shot video of the city that originated the skyscraper and shares it in this blog:

 I made my first trip to Chicago in August to visit a good friend who moved there last year, and one of my favorite parts of the trip was taking the Chicago River Architecture Tour from Wendella Boat Tours. Now that the weather is a bit warmer -- and riding a boat on the Chicago River while getting a breeze off Lake Michigan doesn't seem like a silly idea -- I thought I would share a video and slideshow from my trip.





Tickets for the tour are $26 for adults, $24 for seniors, $13 for children. (But keep an eye on Groupon if you'd like to go a bit cheaper; that's where we got our tickets.)

Other Chicago things I'd recommend:
  • Lou Malnati's Pizzeria. Order the "Malnati Chicago Classic."
  • Goose Island brewery. Good beer, and seriously good food. My friend and I had our eyes on two entrees, ordered one of each and split them. Best. Idea. Ever.
  • Navy Pier. There's a ton of stuff going on there, so you're bound to find something entertaining or good to eat. The Ferris wheel was a little pricier than I thought it should be, but you get a fine view of the skyline and Lake Michigan.
  • Affinia's Chicago hotel. This hotel was gorgeous, and service was outstanding. It's probably a bit too pricey for me to stay there again (my friend had won a free night's stay there on Twitter), but I'd recommend it if that's in your price range.
What I didn't get to do (and what has made my list for my next trip) is checking out the views from the Willis Tower. Our guide from the boat tour has me convinced that should be on everyone's bucket list.

What are your favorite things to do in Chicago?


-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home