Blogs > News-Herald Food and Travel

Food and travel captivate Janet Podolak, who chronicles both for The News-Herald. Get the back story of her three decades of stories here. Guest bloggers and fellow News-Herald staffers also periodically share details of their trips.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bake- Off bound

In just a few days I'll be headed to the 43rd Pillsbury Bake-Off in Dallas where I will watch as the 100 contest finalists prepare the dishes that won them the right to be there. To help me prepare, the Bake-Off folks have sent me a map of individual kitchens where each cook will work. We're most interested in Linda Bibbo of Bainbridge Township who will be at Range 19,near the end of one of three rows of identically configured kitchens. The Tennessee woman at Range 20 next to her will be making Mexican Stuffed Pepper Biscuit Tostadas. To my thinking, there's hardly a dish more different than Bibbo's Caramel Latte Crunch Cups. I am imagining the different scents that will fill that large room at the Fairmont Dallas Hotel headquarters for this year's contest.
Until 1980, the Bake-Off took place every year, but since then it's been held every two years. I was there 10 years ago in 1998 when a Salsa Couscous Chicken dish took the top award in Orlando.
Ill be taking a direct flight to the big D on Continental, a boy am I glad it's not American which is based there. They've cancelled flights right and left this week as they get their aircraft checked and up to speed mechanically.

3 Comments:

Blogger sunshine said...

Hello Janet,
You can't visit the Lone Star State without sampling some Chicken Fried Steak! Good eats, but maybe not too good for the cholesterol. Enjoy!

April 10, 2008 at 12:58 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet-
Always enjoy your stories in food and community, but this blog feels like a personal letter from you. I am anxious to see what it is really like at the Bake Off. I watch it on the Food Network, but would like to hear the details.
Al

April 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Janet!
I looking forward to hear some of the winning recipes from the Bake Off. I'm a home a lot by myself, between my husband and son's work. I want something easy and fast.You take care! Curiosity

April 14, 2008 at 3:06 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home